Thursday, October 28, 2004

VJs Tip Of The Day - October 28th 2004

ASP.Net worker process restarts before the timeout values are reached...

Sometimes your application might err out and if you check the event log you may get an error like "aspnet_wp.exe (PID: Number) was recycled because it was suspected to be in a deadlocked state. It did not send any responses for pending requests in the last 'whatever' seconds"... This would happen even if your ScriptTimeout or Session.Timeout has not reached... Well the reason is the setting in the machine.config file (located in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG -> version, windows etc folders might be different for you)...
In the section of the Machine.config file, change the responseDeadlockInterval configuration setting to a value higher than your timeout values... Basically this error happens because ASP.Net worker process is restarted as there was no response for the period of deadlock interval specified and so the deadlock detection mechanism restarts the aspnet_wp.exe assuming that it was in deadlock...
This info is useful when you have long running processes and also might be during debugging...

PS: Its a conception that debugging software is not really always easy... And when the software is written by someone else its even more difficult... Sometimes even if you diagnose the problem area; resolving it is even more difficult... Did you realize that same is with humans... I feel, debugging a human is virtually impossible ... And especially if that person is not yourself... Even if you identify what is wrong with that person it is next to impossible to correct it... Oh I wish this debugging things would be easier, I would had been full time "Person Debugger"... would had corrected every buggy person... :-) Just kidding... Lately, I have realized that debugging myself itself is not possible for me, leave alone anyone else... I wake up at uncertain times (sometimes people wish me good afternoon when the day has just begun for me), I sleep at uncertain times (sometimes when I should wish myself good morning, I wish good night), I am trying to fix this problem since I was in high school but instead it has grown more serious with every passing day, there is no solution it seems... I think there should be newsgroups for resolving "person bugs" also... "If you have faced similar issues then plz let me know the solution... Thanks in advance...":-)


No comments: